I finally made it to Russia! Yeay!

And now... Russia! St. Petersburg!

/
0 Comments

I finally made it to Russia! Yeay!

I was feeling a little worried that the bus driver wouldn't know that El Salvador was visa free for Russia so I made sure to be prepared with at least 5 documents that said I didn't need a visa and even a letter in Russian with the whole El Salvador- Russia agreement just in case they asked me for anything.

I got into the bus and the driver asked me for a visa and I said I didn't need one so he said ok and let me go to my seat. At the border crossing I was also nervous because you never know how the officer will react but luckily I had no problems, got back in the bus, and at 10am I had arrived in St Petersburg!

Before getting there I had googled my way to the hotel on public transport and getting to the bus and off was easier than what I thought! Actually, traveling in Russia and communicating with the people was totally fine! Of course it was a little challenging like in any other place but not as much as other travelers had said. 
I think it helped learning how to read Cyrillic since many signs don't have translations but because of fifa2018 Russia has started to translate many signs therefore making it a little bit easier for tourists to find their way around.

I arrived at my hostel and I was very impressed by it, maybe one of the most charming hostels I’ve stayed with amazingly kind staff.


My five full days in St. Petersburg were very very very busy, there are so many things to do and definitely so little time! I walked the streets of this beautiful city every day for 12-15 hours and still probably didn’t even get a glimpse of it.

The St. Petersburg tourist info has made an “amazingly good”  guide for 3 and 5 days itineraries so I took advantage of it and followed their guide most of the time.

My first stop the day I arrived was at Palace square, where all emperors once lived  and now holds one of the most amazing museums in the world: The hermitage.

In front of the Winter Palace




It deserved a selfie!
Of course a wedding photo shoot!
Then I strolled through Nevsky Prospect, the main road, looking at all the architecture and the beautifully colored buildings. Nothing about St Petersburg screams Soviet, in fact it is called the Venice of the North due to its high number of canals and beautiful buildings all around.








The colors!!!! So beautiful!



Really?!?! "For a trip to Cambodia?" how about you work for what you want?

10pm in St Petersburg!
For the rest of my time I never got tired of walking around the city and finding new streets, sitting in parks with locals, and taking it all in!













Taking in the view!


One thing you can count on in Russia is souvenirs!!! They have souvenir shops absolutely everywhere and the most famous are Fabergé fake eggs and matrioshkas, the typical Russian dolls with many dolls inside.
The original matrioshkas are red and yellow but nowadays you find them in every single color and at any price; they go from normal looking to extremely fancy ones! I saw some with 3 dolls and some with up to 20 something dolls, crazy if you ask me!




At least 22 dolls!

Got Fabergé?

Putin and his squad!

What I loved the most about traveling on my own is that I can go anywhere, at any time, I can wonder the streets any way I can. In St. Petersburg I found myself walking for hours and hours, even at 3-4am in the morning on my own and feeling super safe. It was crazy to see how this city is the most 24/7 city I have ever seen. Many people say New York is 24/7 but trust me, if you want a pizza at 4am in NYC you have to cab somewhere but not in St. Petersburg, even Starbucks was open at 4am! It's incredible! Maybe because I went there in the middle of summer and the sun barely goes down for like 2 hours that people feel the need of being outside and enjoy every last second of good weather. At 2am there were street performers, people dancing on the street, street vendors, it was so crazy. The sky never got completely black, it always turned dark blue and then  dawn started to happen... it was incredible! I can't even imagine how people behave and how the streets of St Petersburg look like during the white nights.

How would you know this is starbucks if you can't read Cyrillic? haha

one am... not even that dark!




the bridge going down


Around 3am! 

Can you see me? haha


3am!
The metro in Moscow and St Petersburg are amazingly beautiful so I decided to go on a self-guided tour of the metro and checked it out. During soviet times the government said that kings had palaces and the metro was the people’s palace so their  decoration is very beautiful. The most beautiful line is the Red one, which was the original metro line.






Abtobo Metro Station

How pretty are these pillars and chandelliers?

Soviet-y looking station.




Soviet much?

Statue of Pushkin in Pushkinkaya metro station where people put fresh flowers every day.

Try to read that in Cyrillic! 

Ploschad Vosstaniya Station


A lot of people in the metro still read!


Cool fact… The admiral station is the 3rd deepest in the world after Ukraine and North Korea.  It’s 86 meters below ground level and takes about 6 minutes to go all the way down!  Going down the stairs is hilarious for people watching; a lot of people are on their phones, most are reading, and couples just make out for the whole six minutes! haha






One afternoon I decided to take a cruise on the neva river and I really enjoyed it although I did not learn anything as they don’t have the commentary in English, only Russian, but the views were amazing!



St Peter and Paul's fortress from the water.






On my 3rd day I woke up early and decided to go to the St Peter and St Paul fortress for the 12pm canon fire. I took the metro for the first time to Gorkovskaya station and before heading to the fortress I stoped by the park behind the  station to look at the miniature landmarks of St Petersburg! I think everybody should go, it was so cute!




Not even in Miniature I can get the whole Hermitage in one photo!

haha... peak a boo from the church of the spilled blood!


I then continued to check out the mosque but one can only see it from the outside.



And finally crossed the street and went into the fortress.
The fortress from the other side of the river


Stopped by the beach!



The canon!




If you don't know Cyrillic, then you just missed the opportunity to go inside the toilet bus!



View from the park right outside the fortress



Walk by St Isaac’s cathedral. I did not have time to go up to the top but they say the view is very nice!



Kazan Cathedral




And right before I left St Petersburg I visited the Church of the Savior of the Spilled Blood. The church is no longer a church but a museum and it is a MUST SEE!!! The whole church’s inside is covered by mosaics, probably the most beautiful mosaics I have ever seen in my life!
The only thing I could compare it to is Rila Monastery, which I thought was beautiful but this church is a thousand times better, it really does blow your mind!






There was a huge line to get in and on the inside it was full! For the first 20 minutes I took a lot of pictures and then put the camera away. For more than an hour I walked around and admired the beauty of this place. I looked at the pictures and focused on the details! It is unbelievable how people created such beautiful piece of art. Every detail on the mural is amazing!

And now... waaaayyy too many pictures of the church!





EVERY SINGLE THING IS A MOSAIC!!!














Awww. Loved this scene!

This one was my favorite... The details are amazing!





My time in St Petersburg was just too short but I very much enjoyed every second of it! Now off to Moscow!




You may also like

No comments:

Powered by Blogger.