And now... the north of Colombia, first stop: Cartagena!!!

Cartagena (Colombia)

/
2 Comments


And now... the north of Colombia, first stop: Cartagena!!!





Where to start with Cartagena?
First of all it is such a lively and colourful city! When I arrived at night there was music everywhere and people gathering either outside of their house or right by the door.
The houses reminded me a little bit of Jardin with music playing from the inside and locals in and out.


I love walking into a place and looking at the locals. These people reminded me of my walk in Zanzibar where I was able to see people's everyday life.
I stayed in the area of Gertsemani and it was perfect! It still had a lot of locals where one could in a way get a glimpse of how people live in Cartagena.

Just hanging!







There was a ton of art around getsemani!






From Getsemani I walked by the city wall and was able to spot the San Felipe de Barajas Castle.


While walking I also spotted a beautiful iguana!




Then I got lost in the many beautiful and colourful streets that the city had to offer!




I loved watching the fruit guy staring at the lost tourists!!




From there I started my journey to la "Ciudad Amurallada" (the walled city!) And walked by a lovely park full of stands selling old books!




The view of the city from across the water:




Then I finally made it to the wall and into the beautiful city that is Cartagena!!




As I walked the streets inside the ciudad amurallada I saw the traditional Palenqueras. These are women who wear the local Colombian dresses and carry fruits to sell to the customers that came across their path or approach them at their stand.









They even had a small art structure depicting them!

Cartagena is full of plazas, cute churches, colourful buildings, and beautiful people!





The whole city was so serene and beautiful!

There were many shops selling beautiful crafts!



Traditional Colombian bag
One of my favourite things to do was to walk on the wall and check out the city below.

I just love the balconies with flowers!

From the old city walls once can see the new city with many skyscrapers!




And then finally made it to the most iconic part of Cartagena and took the must have picture:



Walking around this beautiful city!






I just simply loved the combination of colours and the flowers!! There are "veraneras" (bougainvillea) all around the town and the look so pretty!





As I walked I saw so many people riding on horse carriages!!!







And people selling fruits and snacks everywhere!




At night, Cartagena comes alive with music, street food and people in every corner!
Sunset from the top of my hostel!


Cartagena is such a charming city that it deserves at least a quick stop when in Colombia!


You may also like

2 comments:

  1. Your amazing photos really tell stories, love your posts!

    ReplyDelete

Powered by Blogger.