I left Warsaw early one morning and mid day I had arrived to beautiful Gdansk!

Gdansk!

/
0 Comments

I left Warsaw early one morning and mid day I had arrived to beautiful Gdansk!



I had asked my friend Martha from Warsaw if Gdansk was worth and she said "absolutely" and as soon as I arrived in the city and saw the beautiful station I knew I was in for a treat!

Gdansk is a very important city in Poland and even more important in history because it was in Gdansk where World War II actually began. Gdansk was an independent state and a very important international location for trading, they defied Hitler and becoming part of third reich  so of course Hitler did what he knew what to do best... attacked!
The people from Gdansk didn't go down peacefully; actually, in the post office in Gdansk there were 50 post worker Poles who fought and fought and fought for 17 hours until the building started to collapse and the Germans started to shoot and pretty much WWII began.

The post office 
Handprint monuments to commemorate those who fought for Gdansk

Picture of the prisoners

Gdansk was pretty badly destroyed during war but thankfully there were enough documents and pictures to be able to reconstruct and make it look just like it did before war.

How Gdansk looked after war


During my time in Gdansk I pretty much walked around town admiring the architecture and the beauty of the place.

Gdansk is known for its Amber so it was really funny to walk around town and see a lot of people digging in a small pond; I had no idea what they were doing but it turns out that the town changes the rocks inside the pond and they can actually find small pieces of amber!


I arrived in Gdansk on a sunday and it was a little hard to appreciate the town because it was crowded! People were truly everywhere, there was even loud techno music with a dj playing right in the middle of the main street and teenagers were dancing and throwing colored powder on each other. Somehow, this beautiful old town didn't quite go so well with the chaos of the town happening that day.

One could barely walk!




In order to compensate for the big crowds on sunday I decided that Gdansk was really worth waking up at 4:30am to see it a little bit more quiet so tripod in hand I went to check out quiet Gdansk... and it was BEYOND MAGICAL!

My first stop was at the river and at that time of the day the reflection was just so cool! The water was calm, no boats on sight, therefore it was the perfect time to just sit and enjoy how clear you could actually see the city in the water!



The red, black, and white boat on the right is the a very important one, it was the first ship made in Poland after the war.








I thought I was so lucky to be able to enjoy quite a nice view! It kind of reminded me of Copenhagen!

This is how the river looks during the day when the tourists are around:

race car boats!

From the river I went into the old town and it was so so so different, it actually was enjoyable to be there and not have to push yourself through the crowds!






My favorite part of the walk was going into St Mary's street and checking out the beautiful porches and Gargoyles!

The Gargoyles are quite famous, their mouths are drains and water from rain comes through them and people call them "pukers"... they are very cool!








All of the houses in St Mary's street have porches full of flowers and give the street an even more charming look and feeling!









During the day St Mary's street is full of shops selling products made out of amber, souvenirs, and they also have a lot of really cute coffee shops and restaurants.



... ALWAYS remember to look up!



After St Mary's street I made my way to check out the Great Armory building!

how pretty!?!?!

Funny Lions

  Then I made my way back to the main street in old town and people were starting to walk and go to work.
entrance to the old town

 

 I my time in Gdansk I also explored a little bit outside of the main streets of old town, I wandered around and found some churches, markets, and lots of cute 










 I also had the chance to take the local train and visit the beach town of Sopot.
To be honest it wasn't all that great but still a nice outing since I had time to spare.




Crowded much?



Fisherman hanging 



what the water looked like... NO THANKS!

My ultimate favorite thing to do in Gdansk was to visit the brand new World War II museum. I have been to every single WWII I have encountered in the last 11 years and this is hands down THE best one I have ever been to!
Many times museums about WWII focus only on the Jews and don't provide much background information but this museum was just such a well put together museum! It began with a very nice history from WWI and how that lead to WWII and how actually WWII came to happen!

Also, I noticed that in most museums there isn't much information about Asia's part in the war and many times only by visiting places like Borneo in Malaysia you happen to know that there were WWII prisoners in that island, and Japan's involvement is very rarely talked about but in this museum one got the bigger picture of what this war was!



 At the entrance of the museum there was an exhibition and showed what a school looked like before war and also they showed how a house looked like before the war and during the war.


school

Jewish house pre war

Jewish house during the war.
 It was a little crazy to see all the propaganda the nazis created during time of war.

 I got to feel like I was walking into an old Jewish neighborhood!



beginning of war!



Six Million people... heart breaking!


Opor = Resistance





After 2 1/2 hours at the museum I finally finished. Unfortunately I had to leave Gdansk that day and couldn't really spend more time there but I could have easily spent 5 hours. The day I visited was a tuesday (monday was closed) and it happened to be a free day. I had to wait in line for an hour (pretty much because every 70 year old polish lady and family sneakily cut the line and pretended they weren't cutting) and my line started pretty close to the ticket office. When I got out the line was huge, it even went outside the museum! If I were to go back to Gdansk I would definitely go again but maybe skip the free day and see it with less crowds!


People queuing!!!

From the museum I got some lunch and headed to the bus stop to go to the next country... Lithuania!








You may also like

No comments:

Powered by Blogger.