Well... three weeks flew by so so so fast!

Last week in Kenya!

/
0 Comments

Well... three weeks flew by so so so fast!
I decided to stay a fourth week by myself in order to work closely with teacher Laura and make sure that the teachers knew how to use the materials that we had brought and the different ways to incorporate them into their lessons.

On the first day I focused on reading and making sure the teachers know how to properly read a book in circle; to do it slowly, make sure all kids get a turn to look at the pictures, and to show it at the kids' eye level. The sequence of the book reading is also important; the kids are learning english so the first couple of times is nice to translate those words that they might not know in english but know in Kikuyu so they build up their vocabulary. The more they read the book the less it should be translated because the children very easily get to learn to learn the new words.

I noticed that during reading the teachers sometimes stopped all the time to have the kids repeat, to give long explanations, or to even sing a song that had a word from the book. I explained and emphasised that stopping too much to ask questions took away the focus off the story and that kids might have a hard time following up the story. Instead, the reading should build up to asking questions at the end of the book.

We brought 25 books and sometimes the teachers would tell me "they already read that book" when I was going to read it again. Well, I had to explain that children read books over and over again, it helps with their language skills, comprehension, concentration, develops imagination and creativity. As they learn English, children can start to piece together the story by looking at the pictures, and most likely every time they read the story they get something new out of it. It was important to say that the first time they read a book they won't get the whole thing so it is important not to ask them too many or complicated questions.

As I arrived on Monday, teacher Laura was ready for me to take over her classroom but instead I put her on the spot and asked her to read a book to the classroom.



Teacher Virginia also had to practice!



We then made patterns with the counting bears.









During lunch time I went out to see if the teacher for the upper grades had given the kids the soccer balls. It turned out that only one ball was given and there were at least 50 children running frantically after the ball.



Madness!
At the playground my students were having so much fun! At my school back in CA we had this rule of "only one at the time on the slide" well, that rule didn't make it to Africa! There were about 7 children in that slide, and some of them climbing through the slide... a big No No!



Rain, puddles, and mucky shoes!








The following day I could not get to the school! My friend Wangai and his girlfriend Wanmui were hosting me at their house and wanted to come check out the school but the road was close. We tried to use the back streets but even the matts were not going through so instead I decided to get to Nairobi and buy the ;last couple of stuff since some of my friends had donated a little more money for materials.

On wednesday it was teacher Laura's turn (again) to practice her skills. We started the day by reading a book by Todd Parr.


And then introduced the children to watercolours! yeay!







Teacher Laura demonstrating how to get the paint to work!





I then went to teacher Virginia's class and did the same activity, the kids absolutely LOVED IT! (not sure the teachers loved the cleaning up after, myself included!)




On thursday, some of the teachers went to Nairobi for a demonstration about childhood education (or something like that) so we were left with both classrooms in ours so it got very crowded.
I was expecting the day to be chaotic but it turned out to be very easy and I would go as far as saying it was even better than having my classroom alone!

April had brought a lot of pipe cleaners for art but unfortunately we didn't use them while she was around and I did not want to leave Kenya without showing teacher Laura what could be done with them. That morning I decided to make bracelets and necklaces with pipe cleaners and colourful beads!







The beads were going everywhere so I had the great idea of asking the children of putting their beanie on the table and placed the beads on top... problem solved! Yay!




Silly me decided to make a pair of glasses for one of the kids and it turned out that every single kid wanted one and they were all anxiously waiting for them. I decided it was break time and while they played I made about 50 pipe cleaner glasses!








During the last week I also did some teacher training and showed the lower grade teachers how to properly use the items that we brought and the different activities they could do using the same material.
I had a lot of fun showing them how to be creative with the new items for their school.


Teaching a card game.

Before I left teacher Laura took me to get some Kenyan dresses made.
I picked the style that I liked the best and made sure to tell her to that i didn't want it to be too fluffy and over the top, I kept saying "Not too much" and puling my arms to the side of my legs. Both teacher Laura and the seamstress thought I would look beautiful with a dress with lots of fabric.
The next day I showed up to pick up my dress and it was... Too much! I kept trying it on and asking her to make "less"; I could literally pick up the ends and stretch my arms all the way straight!


Fixing my dress!
For my last week in Kenya my friends Wangai and Wambui were kind enough to let me crash at their place in Kikuyu which was sooooo convenient to go the school. Instead of 2 matatus and 2 hours, it took me not even 30 mins and just one matatu... yay!

I also got to explore Kikuyu. Wambui took me to the local market and I went crazy buying all kinds of produce and then had fun cooking for them!



Lentils for dinner!




Walking home, carrying the groceries!
Dinner made by yours truly!


While in Kikuyu, they introduced me to the amazing "Crave Kitchen" restaurant. 


little Farmers market outside of crave kitchen
The ambiance and decoration of the place is so cozy and cool!





The kitchen is open and tiny!!!! I had to go inside and check out how they functioned!
Chopping potatoes!
Check out their stoves... on the floor!

To be honest they didn't have the biggest selection of vegetarian food but the masala fries and the green veggies made up for it, they were SOOOOO GOOD! (no picture though!)

Before eating, the server would come to the table with a jug with hot water and a basin and wash your hands! pretty nice of them!

Wambui washing her hands

Wambui's chicken and masala fries!

Sadly, my time in Kenya had come to an end. I was sad to leave, I think mostly because I knew that I would not be able to go back for at least a year or two. With my commitment in London,  moving to a new place, going back to Grad school and all the grown up- not a traveller anymore- kind of things going on, who knows when I'll ever be back.

I am grateful for the opportunity though, grateful for all my friends who believed in my project and were kind to donate so I could come back and bring them materials that would last for years to come. In my heart I know that this is the right thing to do, to help others, to give my knowledge away, to share it with the world, to do whatever I can to make this world a better place.

I am a believer that when we die we leave everything behind and what matters is what you did for other when you were alive. What truly matters is not if you changed the world, but if you changed somebody's world, or even made somebody's day better. I hope the school appreciates the help, I know the kids have gained so much from this experience, I know I have gained a lot.

'Til next time Kenya!!




You may also like

No comments:

Powered by Blogger.