Getting to colombia! 

Colombia!

/
0 Comments

Getting to colombia! 


I left Otavalo after lunch where I said goodbye to Anna who went back to Quito to get on an airplane back home. I bought a ticket to Ibarra to then go to Tulcan, the bordering city with Colombia.

Rumors were that the border crossing had been taking between 6 and 8 hours minimum (one traveller was in line through the night for 12 hours!) so one had to get there around 5am to have a chance of a shorter and easier border crossing. I arrived in Tulcan and walked for about 15 minutes trying to find a Hostel but the one that I saw looked really bad so I didn’t even ask how much for the night. As I kept walking and asking people some of them kept saying to go to the border, the last lady I talked to said “go,go, there are no lines because of carnaval and a strike near Pasto. Go down the street and get a shared taxi for $0.85!” So I did, got on a taxi with 3 Ecuadorians and I was on my way to colombia!

By then it was 5:20pm so I was afraid of having  to be there at night. I got off the taxi next to the Ecuadorian immigration building and found that it wasn’t all that full. I entered and only had to wait for 5 people... God really loves me!!! 😌


I then walked across the bridge and into the Colombian immigration office where I had to wait for only 3 people and I was on my way to the next town, Ipiales!



When I got out I saw the couple who was in front of me and decided to get a shared taxi to town for $1 each. We first drove them to the terminal terrestre and then the lady who was in the front and the taxi driver took me to an inexpensive hotel to spend the night. 

I dropped off my bag and had to go get some Colombian pesos. I walked around town and got some arepas before going back to the hotel.

The arepas were super weird, they looked a little bit like pupusas but way thicker. I asked for one and they put cheese and pineapple jam... kind of weird, but good!

The next day I woke up early and headed to the santuario de las lajas. This church was built inside the canyon of the Guaitara River and it’s pretty impressive from the outside.






Isn't this impressive?


The inside looks like any regular Latin American church.



To be honest the church was nice to look at and close enough to visit from my route but not something worth going all the way down to the southern part of Colombia for.

After Las Lajas I quickly stopped by the town and snapped some pictures of the plazas and churches.





Now off to Pasto!


You may also like

No comments:

Powered by Blogger.